Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Thursday, August 27, 2015

8/24/2015: Choose to be an instrument

Good afternoon my family! :)

It has just been a crazy, insane week! 

With the tripanionship we are combining all three of our areas. So we had to figure out which days we would go where and incorporate drive time because my area in some places is about an hour away and there has just been running, running, running. And it's great! I just love it! 

We just switched houses this morning with the Elders as well because their house was actually in Sister Bogle's area, which is now all of ours. So that took a few hours but it was good. It'll be better for us now and more productive because we will actually be living in our area. I thought I wasn't going to have to pack my suitcase until November haha! That changed. At least this time I didn't have to pack for weight to fly out somewhere else. 

On Tuesday we had Zone Conference and man it was awesome! Elder and Sister Martinez came for the mission tour. He's in the area presidency. I learned so much once again. President Brown talked to us a lot about our teaching skills and how we can improve. He talked about not teaching really from just mind to mind but from heart to heart. Which requires us to have our own spiritual experiences that we can then bear more powerful testimony and have it carried to their hearts by the Spirit. Elder Martinez talked about how we can help to improve the Branch with things like Branch council. He talked about the vital signs in a branch. Man it was just so helpful! I really left that Conference feeling uplifted and motivated even more! This work is just so exciting and I'm so blessed to get to be a part of it as a missionary. It really is the greatest thing I have ever done in my life so far. 

We had an awesome experience with Kelly this week on Thursday! She is one of the investigators that Sister Schwendiman was teaching. Still is but now it's us haha. She owns a little bar in Sunset and that is where we teach her. haha. The environment is actually pretty good because we go during the day and not many people are there at that time. There's just beer and stuff on the shelves haha.... She loves the Book of Mormon though and she came to church on Sunday. She said she loved church as well and felt really welcome. We shared with her about faith and repentance and we read in Alma 36 about Alma the Younger and his experience. As we talked about it the Spirit was just so strong! We talked about how Christ's hand is always outstretched and waiting for us to take hold, and about forgiveness and all that. She began to cry and we hugged her and she just said that she was so happy to know the true doctrine of repentance. We could see the hope in her and her faith building. Tears once again haha. But it was an awesome experience. The next time we went was on Saturday and there were several drunk men there........... Very drunk men. Just the stench of the breath from the liquor was making me sick haha..... Needless to say... I got a lot of proposals for marriage again. Haha. But we left quickly. It was just not an environment that we could teach in at all and they were not going to be leaving any time soon. 

We met with a man named Calvin who came to church the past two weeks, though he was late yesterday, on Thursday as well. He was asking SUCH good questions as well! Things like, 'What was the Book of Mormon written on in order to keep it pure?' etc. And other things pertaining to the Plan of Salvation. And then at the end of the lesson after we talked about the beginning of the plan of salvation from pre-earth the earthly life he told us about an experience he had. So he was out in the bush trying to shoot a bird and this bird seemed to be hiding behind a tree branch and he would peer around the branch and as soon as he saw that Calvin was going to shoot him he would hide back behind. And this happened several times until the bird suddenly stopped and wasn't there anymore.... And then all of the sudden there was a lady who was behind Calvin and walked to the front of him and she told him something, I don't remember, and then she walked back around him but disappeared..... interesting.... And then he went on to tell us that he believes that God is good and evil..... Oh man. It started off well. We have another appointment with him. He is a very intelligent man but has some interesting ideas for sure. I love the guy. :)

We had a great lesson with a less-active this week. Her name is Sister Foster. We taught her the Restoration and we had planned on watching the video but we forgot it at home.... So we taught it to her without the video and wanted to focus on the Priesthood and the importance of it. Jeez was that lesson powerful! The Spirit was just leading it so well. I don't know if it could have been as powerful if we showed the movie because of the questions she was asking. They were just inspired and she really came to understand the Priesthood and how it was restored back to the earth. Wow it was just amazing to see the Spirit working through her and us as well. 

Well, that's about how the week went. It was great! I'm excited to see what the Lord has in store for us this week and who he has in mind for us to meet. This Gospel is true. Christ truly does lead it and is at the head. And he is mindful of each and every single one of us. I have never been so sure about my purpose and what and how I want to live my life and the kind of daughter of God I want to be. I love my Heavenly Father and my Brother Jesus Christ more than anything. Without Christ, I wouldn't be able to live with Him, my Heavenly Father or my family again. The Atonement is real. 

I love you all.

Love,

Sister Mouritsen

   

No comments:

Post a Comment