Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Monday, September 22, 2014

9/22/14: Livin' in Jam Rock

Hello Family!

This week was a great one! I am still trying to get the hang of the patois and all that but I have had a lot of interesting experiences here in Jamaica. 

We had some great lessons with Taphirah on Tuesday and Thursday. We talked more about the Book of Mormon because he wasn't able to read very much. He is great! The spirit was strong and he still has that strong desire to be baptized and be a part of the church. He is awesome! 

Kimoya is great as well! We were able to talk about the Plan of Salvation with her and she loved it! Nothing is really new to her though because she has heard all of these things in church. She just needed to be taught the lessons and then she can get baptized. We are praying that she will be able to get the bus fare to come to church. It's hard for her. She went to church a long time ago. We were only able to see her once this week though because she got pretty sick. 

At District meeting this week, we had a great discussion! One of the points that Elder Hall brought up was one from Elder Cornish when he was here. Elder Cornish asked the simple question of "What verse(s) of scripture describe the Gospel to you?" The first one that came to my mind of course was 2 Nephi 31. I LOVE that chapter. Then as we got talking and sharing, more came to my mind like 3 Nephi 12:19-20, Mosiah 4 and 5, Alma 5, 3 Nephi 27:19-20, Moroni 6. Others that people shared were D&C 18:10, D&C 14:7, D&C 15:6, Mosiah 2:41, D&C 20:37, 2 Nephi 2:6-8, and many others. It was a great meeting. It really helped me to remember how simple the Gospel really is. Sometimes I think we make it too complicated and we need to come back to square one, study the Doctrine of Christ again and remember and gain a renewed testimony of it. I love this Gospel so much!
 
Last night we had a lesson with Romaine but it ended up being a lesson with like 10 of his friends and family as well. We started out by talking about the Restoration but we realized that he doesn't understand the Godhead and how they are three separate beings. Which is what most Jamaicans believe. So we started sharing and testifying about that. I think it really helped them. Except for one of the friends who just thought we were insane for thinking that haha. I am praying that he won't influence Romaine too much and that Romaine will really think about things and pray about them to know for himself. We had a good powerful discussion though. 

On Saturday we went to a funeral in Linstead. One of the members passed away right before I got here and since the Ocho Rios branch doesn't have its own building, we drove to Linstead. I must say that funerals are very, very, interesting and different here. Let's say a lot more up beat as well. haha! So there is a lot less crying which is good. I wish I could have met her though. She seemed like a really nice lady. She has three young daughters and a young son who are less active. They seemed to be interested in the church again since she died. We had a good turn out from the branch at the funeral to support her. I hope they will lean on the church and see the blessings that can come from it. 

I had to give a talk yesterday in church on families and the relationships with them. It went pretty well! Of course I cried. I mean, when do I not. haha! I thought this mission was gonna help my emotional instability! Whatever. 

Well thanks for all the emails and updates! I really means a lot to me! Have a blessed week!

Love,

Sister Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment