Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Monday, September 15, 2014

9/15/14: Wow. Just Wow.

Hello Family!

This week was a wild one. Definitely! Being back in Jamaica is weird! It is not how I remembered it four months ago. Haha. Probably because I was still in shock! But I love Ochi! (Ocho Rios) The branch here is great! It's small but great. There are about 30 members that come on Sundays and Tajara and Rojaro who got baptized last Monday, got confirmed yesterday, barely. It was great! They don't have their own building here yet. We meet above a grocery store. The Branch President is Elder Hardy and he and his wife are the senior couple here. He asked me to give a talk next week on family. I think I can do that :) Easy.

This week was an eye opener for sure. Many of the members live up on the mountains. Like literally on the mountains. I guess I never REALLY realized how flat Cayman is. Here we park our big truck and hike. It's awesome in a skirt. The only thing I can think of is 'Chinscraper'. I know I've never actually been on Chinscraper but that's a good way to describe it here. haha! This place is just SO different than Cayman. The people are amazing and awesome and so dang friendly. I love it.

We had a lesson with a girl named Kimoya who is 16. Her mom is a member of the church but Kimoya lives with her uncle. She wants to be baptized and has been to church before. So we are teaching her the lessons. She is so great. :) We also had a lesson with a guy named Taphirah. His girlfriend is getting taught the lessons and wants to get baptized but they are living together so they are planning on getting married this month and then they will get baptized. Taphirah is really humble and really receptive to the message. I love it! 

The hardest thing about being back here on the rock is the language. I am learning to understand them better. I didn't have to deal with the Patois as much in Cayman. The lessons usually start out well and they remember that they need to speak English for me but by the end it is straight Patois. Thank goodness I have a Jamaican companion. She speaks Patois for me all the time so that I can begin to understand it. It is such a cool 'language' hahaha. And NOBODY knows how to say 'Mouritsen'. Seriously. You'd think I was from another world because they physically can't say it. Haha!  I love Jamaica with all my heart. I know that I am meant to be here for a reason even though I miss my home in Cayman. No offense Utah. I'll probably just end my mission and fly to Cayman. :) Jk. Sorta. Not really. But jk. hahaha. 

Thank you for all the emails. I hope all is well with all of you! I pray for you all constantly! Have a blessed week! Keep being the examples that you are in the gospel. :)

Love,

Sister Mouritsen

No comments:

Post a Comment