Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I love missionary work :)

Hi Family!

Sorry about the delay. We had a huge Mormon Helping Hands service day yesterday and it took up all of our time. So we are emailing today. The service project was awesome! We had to drive like freaking 35 minutes to get to the spot haha! One of the members is building in Northside, WAY out in the bush!! The spot they bought is just trees, bushes, weeds, big rocks and all that. So we just started hacking away with our machetes. We did some great work! I'm so happy for them! They have a great spot and the house plans look awesome. :) I got a little sunburned and my hair is turning blonder ha! Looks like  a natural melt. Who needs dye when you have Grand Cayman sun? :)




Last Tuesday we had a great lesson with a Jamaican named Raymond. We taught lesson one, gave him a book of Mormon and committed him to church. He seems really receptive! And the Spirit was so strong again! I love the feeling of the Spirit. He wasn't able to come to church though. He had a family emergency I guess... We are praying hard for him to come next week though. I also read a talk called Missionary Work and the Atonement, by Elder Holland. Oh. My. Goodness. Read it. Just go read it. It is A. Mazing! Even though you may not be a missionary with a nametag it will still hit your heart. Wow! 

Wednesday we had District Meeting, and we talked about 10 things to happiness.
1- Commit to living a Christ centered life.(PMG Christlike attributes) 
2-Obedience
3-CHOOSE to be Happy
4-Be flexible and Adaptable, follow the Spirit
5-Work Hard
6-Always have a Purpose, Goals short and long
7-Take care of your physical body. Make it a place for the Spirit to dwell
8-Control your thoughts, Proverbs 23:7. If our thoughts are negative, so is our heart. "When you think you've been beaten, You have."
9-Have a forgiving heart. Accept people's imperfections
10-Serve others. MODEL THE SAVIOR.

What more can I say? :) Haha.

We also had a lesson with Fitzroy who is Jamaican. He is awesome! I hope he continues to let us teach him. I know this can help his life.

On Thursday we saw Ice T. He is the one who mixes music. Most hilarious person ever. One of his recording artists was there and we got to talk with her. She is so prepared! Just like Ice T! The experiences that she shared with us just showed us that! She had even met the missionaries before but it was when just the Elders were here. She said they were like hitting on her and then gave her a Book of Mormon. haha! We told her more about it, gave her another one and we hope she reads it before the next time we see her. :) Her name is Renee and she is part of a cool band known as Sweet Elite. We also visited a less active who just got out of the hospital with a near death experience. She had been struggling ever since she had been in the church with baptisms for the dead. We had a break through lesson and she is going to start coming back to church! Everything really does happen for a reason. :) I love this Gospel! 

Friday we did service at a member's house out in West Bay. His name is Jack Henry. I love that guy. Funniest person i've ever met and we have the best relationship. :) I am really going to miss my family out here in Cayman.... Good thing I'm here for another few months. :) But he is building a shed and we helped him with it. And in turn he fed us pigs tail with spindler dumplings. :) yum! 

Saturday we had a great lesson on the Restoration and the Book of Mormon with Mel, he had a couple of his friends, PJ and Kevin there too and PJ seemed really interested! I hope they read the Book of Mormon. We invited them to come to church as well but they didn't come. :( Hopefully next week. 

Sunday was GREAT though! We had four investigators there!!! Raymond from Honduras who we met while teaching a different family, Marlon, Arnel, and Nick! Aw man it was awesome! I love seeing them there. It makes me so happy to see that they make an effort to come and learn more. I KNOW that this Gospel will bless their lives if they keep letting Christ in. :) 

Thank you for all of the emails! It makes me happy to hear from all of you! I'm glad everything is going well. I love you all more than anything! Have a fantastic week! 

Love,

Sister Mouritsen :)  







Questions and answers between Aimee and Leah: 

Aimee: From the Internet Hallie found out that July 7th was Constitution Day in Grand Cayman, which we thought would stop you from being able to find a place open to send emails.  Is that really true?  Where do you go to write your e-mails?  

Leah: Yes it was Constitution day. :) But that's not the issue. We email at the church so holidays aren't a problem. We had a HUGE Mormon Hands service project and didn't have time for anything for p-day so President Brown said we could move it to today. :) He's great :) THere are SOOOOO many holidays here. 

Aimee: What else do you do on your P-day?  

Leah: P-days are awesome. Last week it just poured rain so we took naps. :) I'm setting up a day with one of the members from Honduras to go Iguana hunting. And then he is going to cook it for us. WOOHOO!! I"m stoked!! 

Aimee: Did your tummy get feeling better?  

Leah: Yes my tummy is fantastic. :) 

Aimee: What is the main thing you eat? 

Leah: The main thing I eat is rice, chicken, fish, dumplings, green bananas, plantains. All that. I'm going to definitely miss all of the fruit here. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Especially star fruit, mangoes and macopa. yum!!! 

Aimee: Have you been able to find things that you liked to eat  back home?  

Leah: I've made danish pancakes and French toast a couple times which makes me happy. :) But they pretty much have everything here. It's just SUPER expensive because EVERYTHING is imported. I miss your cooking so much..... I wish I could cook like you. 

Aimee: Is it hard to stay in the budget they give you each month?

Leah: No, It's not too hard to stay in budget. Some months it is but it hasn't been too much of a problem. I'm good at just buying the things on sale. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment