Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Monday, June 9, 2014

I Love Missionary Work!

Hey Family!

It's good to hear from you! I love you guys so much! When I heard that you all had gone and had the best time in Dingle and Yellowstone it made me jealous. And then I remembered I was a missionary so I wasn't anymore but I was jealous that you guys probably had Aunt Leah's Pancakes. haha! So I made some for myself this morning! Mmm! Those things are dang good. Except that our pans at our apartment are so old that it kind of burned them. But still totally worth it. :) All of the pictures are so beautiful! I forgot what pine trees and mountains looked like.... jk haha.

This week was great! Hurricane season started June 1 and goes until November 30. We have been preparing and stocking up the apartment just in case something happens. So it's been SUPER rainy all week. And when it gets rainy in the Caribbean, no one lets you in or comes out of their houses. It's just wonderful for church.... Oh well. It does help keep it a little bit cooler so that's a plus. But I'd much rather see people in the heat than not see people when it's cool.

The Stake was also formed this weekend! Elder Holland came! I guess it was awesome but we wouldn't know. They wouldn't even let us Skype in to see him. I am so excited that we have a stake though!!!

On Tuesday we went to visit Laura, the lady who came to church a couple weeks ago. Well.... She and her husband decided to drop us. They said that they would rather go to the church they grew up in because it's closer to them. Psh! We were discouraged because we know that they both felt something! The spirit was so strong in our lessons and at church especially! It was like everything that was said that day applied to them! Hopefully they will recognize the spirit that they felt and they will want to bring that back into their lives. We taught a couple by the names of Paul and Veronica too. They are Jamaican and they are great! We taught them the Restoration and gave them Books of Mormons and they loved it. Paul said that he thought that we were just going to come preach to them more about the bible. (And they know a lot about the Bible. They go to the Agapa church.) They said that they were definitely going to read the Book of Mormon. I can't wait to follow up with them and see if they actually did! The Spirit was so strong and really brought us up after we were dropped by Laura.

Wednesday we had District meeting trade-offs. I was super nervous... I went with Sister Tominey, the sister training leader here in Cayman. But it actually didn't go too bad. It went really well. Sister Mashabela and Sister Coleman went together in the West Bay area and neither of them can drive so they had to walk... haha! It was an interesting day.

On Thursday we went and did service for a member named Ghie. She lives right behind us in an apartment so we walked over there expecting it to just take us about an hour or two. We were just going to rake up all of the leaves and garbage that were around the house. Let me tell ya. It was chucka chucka! (messy) Nosah! We didn't finish until 12! It hadn't been cleaned out for years. There were roaches and 40 leggers and scorpions. ugh...  And all we had to clean it with was some over used useless brooms with like 2 inch bristles and some dust pans. Yeah. It took forever. For some reason it just kept reminding me of the story of you Colt when you and Cichy had to clean up all that honey that you spilled everywhere. haha! Aren't missions great?!?! :) Anyway, everyone kept driving by and being like, "WHOA! It's about time this place got cleaned! I was about to call the health department!" And they kept asking who the four of us were and it helped us to get people to teach. One lady that lives in the apartments with Ghie, she is also Philipino and is also named Ghie, said that she was going to serve us dinner Friday night at 8..... haha... ha. ha... Well Friday night comes and we went over there at 8 and there were lots of people, lots of food, and they were all outside because there wasn't any more garbage or leaves, music was blasting, they were smoking and later a bunch more people came and they brought alcohol. Then Ghie, the non-member went inside and stripped down to this skanky tie dye outfit. yeah. We quickly ate, said goodbye and left. haha! It was adventure.

On Sunday we woke up to lots of thunder and lightning. It was awesome! But there was also lots of rain... Meaning... no one comes to church. More than half the people there were tourists. haha! AND Tyrone came to church!!! Whayasay?!?!?! Ya. Tyrone. We flipped! It was awesome! He was late and got there during the water but it was awesome! I can't wait to visit him this week to see what he thought about it! It was a good day! I mean come on, he came even though it rained and he woke up late! The church is true.

In my personal study this week I read a couple talks, one by Elder Holland called, "The First Great Commandment", amazing, and one by Elder Cook called, "Can You Feel So Now." Wow. All I can say is go check them out. Holy cow. There was a quote at the back of one of them that I loved it said, "I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: to reach the port  of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie anchor." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Well I hope you all have a fantastic week! It's great to hear from you! I love you all so much!

Love,

Sister Mouritsen











No comments:

Post a Comment