Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

5/26/2015: Back in Jamaica :)

Good afternoon :)

Man this week has been an insane one and definitely not like any other week I  have had on the mission... haha...

So Monday, Sister Lewis and I flew out from Nassau. At one point in the airport, we were talking to this guy and the conversation started out really well and then it just went downhill.... so I don't know what religion he was cause he wouldn't tell us but he started pulling out scriptures and getting heated and rude and yelling at us about how we should not be teaching with our hair uncovered and how we should not be teaching at all because we are women. And that we should just shave our hair off because we are speaking. Jeez man.... As he was walking away he said, 'Stop lying to my people!' That was a great going- away-from-Nassau present....

The AP's picked us up from the airport and we met the STL's in Kingston and went teaching with them for the night. Then Tuesday we drove to Spanishtown for the trainers' meeting in the morning and then we went teaching the rest of the night. It was a good day. I have been pretty nervous about what is going to happen this transfer though and woke up kind of sick Wednesday morning. But it eventually went away when we got to the transfer meeting so that was good. 

Transfers was awesome! My new companion/daughter is Sister Robinson. :) She is fantastic! She's from Junction and is 19 years old. I'm only a year older than she is but it just made me feel so old especially in the mission old. All my companions have been older than me and older than me in the mission, except for when I trained Sister Garrett. Man....

Well we drove with the Zone Leaders back to our area. They are serving in Hopeton which is just north of Mandeville in Manchester. I also found out that I will be the only STL in Mandeville. We'll see how this goes.

Well white washing is interesting.... when we got back to our area on Wednesday it was about 7 at night. Sister Lewis helped us by telling us who we could go visit. So we called them and then walked out to get taxi a ways down the road. They were a nice family and we had a great lesson with them. They are some recent converts and a newly reactivated father. 

Thursday we went and did Service at a member's house in Mandeville as a district. We helped to clean up her yard and weed and such. It was good and the rest of the day Sister Robinson and I walked and walked and walked and taxied and walked and talked to a lot of people and tried to find the people that the past sisters were teaching. The sisters before us were actually Sister Mashabela and her trainee sister Frey (my sister) and we also have the STL area because we are supposed to have a car. Hopefully we'll get it on Tuesday. The sisters hit a gate haha. We had called a guy named Dixon who apparently had a baptismal date for June 6th and we tried and walked so much to try to find this guy. At one point we called him and he said that he was walking home now from work and we were like sweet us too. and we asked where he was and he told us and apparently we had passed him on the road and we even said hi to him but he didn't want to talk to us and he said on the phone that he was looking for Sister Mashabela and Frey haha! We talked to him! So we have been trying to meet up with him since but.... It hasn't worked out. Hopefully soon... 

It has been raining about every day here as well. Friday we got drenched. At one second it was sprinkling and the next we looked like we had just jumped into the ocean! We were soaked for the rest of the day. It was nice to be able to take off our wet clothes that night haha. 

Sunday was a good day. We got to meet the members and get to know them a little bit. President Brown was there as well because it was District Conference. We also met one of our investigators named Demarce, who is amazing! He was living in Florida and being taught by the sisters there and moved back here this month. He lives with his mom who is really skeptical of the church but she came to church yesterday for the first time! She thought it was a very interesting church....... She doesn't want Demarce to be a member and Demarce still lives with her. He's 24. So he's having a hard time getting consent to be baptized. We are praying that she will let it happen and eventually she will want to learn more as well. We had a lesson with Demarce after church and tried to get her to join us but she wouldn't... Demarce is so ready though! The way he talks, it just sounds like he is already a member! I can't wait for him to enter the waters of baptism! 

Monday we walked and walked again and had a lesson with a guy named Sean. (See-on is how it is pronounced.) It was really cool. We helped him to understand more about Heavenly Father and what his purpose is here on earth. He has been going through a really rough time. We gave him a plan of salvation tract and he said he would read it and come to church. He mentioned that he just needs a reason to come to church. He wants to devote his life to God. The Spirit was so strong! 

Yesterday was Labor Day so we are having our preparation day today. I hope you all have a great week this week. I am exited to see what is in store for us. Mandeville is awesome! It's cold though compared to everywhere else!

I just love missionary work! I love you all! Be strong. Know where you stand.

Love,

Sister Mouritsen

Final Pictures from Nassau (including one with Sylvia, a new convert).


Washing a member's car

Sylvia, a new convert



No comments:

Post a Comment