Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

2/2/2015: It's February. Wow.

Hi!

This week was another great one of course! I've officially been back to work for a week now and it feels so good! Those 5 days just about killed me haha. I just wanted to get out! Yes, I still feel a little bit of pain sometimes but that's not going to stop me! I refuse. This work is going to move no matter what. Whether it's with me or without me. It'll pass me by like wind if I'm laying in bed so I'm not going to let it. I'd rather fly with it. :) But yes, I'm recovering well and loving it up here in Nassau! Besides the fact that it's freezing! Jeez am! 

We went and saw a referral this week and we met him at his office and he could not remember meeting the missionaries. But we shared with him our purpose as missionaries and talked about the Godhead. He kept asking us questions as we were talking and trying to disagree with us. But then when he would explain what he really thought about it, it was exactly how we explained it just in different words. ha. Man. Come on. So he'd disagree and say NO it's like this and we'd be like Yeah! You're right! Then he disagreed about the Holy Ghost like, 'So what is a Spirit?' And we looked at each other and said, '...Well... you tell us. What do you think it is?' And guess what... he was right. haha. Needless to say, he said he still wanted to see us again. So we set up an appointment for the day after next. We called him that day and he said we could still come. When we got to his office the door was locked but someone was in there and we called him and he said, 'Oh, I'm in Eleuthera.' Come on man! Yeah right! So we wrote our testimonies in a Book of Mormon and left it on the door handle to his office. Hopefully he gets it. If someone steals it, that's great too. haha. He's a cool guy though. But just not ready yet. Soon come.


Here is the Book of Mormon we left on his door. 

We also got a referral from a member. Her name is Sylvia and she is from Haiti. The population here seems like it's mostly made up of Haitians. Maybe half and half of Haitians and Bahamians. But anyway, Sylvia only speaks Creole. Creole if you remember from my email in August when I was here in Nassau and we learned Creole is like just broken French. I never knew my French classes would come handy so much! It's all coming back though and I understand some of the things they are saying. :) It's cool! No wonder I took French in school! But we have to have a translator when we teach her. A member named Sister Etienne, who is also Haitian, came with us and she and Sylvia really hit it off! They are great and Sister Etienne bore powerful testimony. Having a translator can be hard though. We have to speak in short sentences that sums up a section of the Gospel. We taught her the Restoration and during the lesson a lady walked in and saw us so she sat down and started listening.  She didn't speak much English. During the lesson she started asking questions and then started talking to Sylvia and Sister Etienne and all of the sudden it was just a whole lotta Creole and no English. Sister Judd and I were so confused. We could tell though that it was getting a little bit heated. All of the sudden the lady turned to us and said, 'So how do you know what church is right?' We said, 'Well, pray...' and then she snapped her fingers, hissed her teeth, got up, and walked out. Wow. We turned to Sister Etienne with confused looks and she told us that that lady had come to take Sylvia to her church. She was a preacher and she was angry that we were there teaching Sylvia the Gospel and that her congregation was dwindling. Also that she new what we were teaching was true, though she didn't say it, which is why she just got up and walked out apparently. haha. It was a funny experience. We finished the lesson and it was powerful. The Spirit was definitely there to testify and Sylvia said she could feel it was true. She even came to church yesterday for the Caribbean broadcast by Elder Holland, President Packer, Elder Anderson of the seventy, and Sister Oscarson. It was great! All about family! It was only in English though and one of the members helped Sylvia to understand what was going on in Creole. We only got to see two of the talks though. Long story... But they were fantastic! I can only imagine what the whole thing was like! haha! 

We also got to see Kevin a few times this week! He is the one who committed to be baptized on February 14th. Man he is so prepared! I can't say it enough! We were able to have a recent convert come with us, Jerome who got baptized the Sunday before I got here, and a long time member, Sister Saint-Gilles. Jeez Am It was the most powerful lesson ever!! We talked about the baptismal questions and shared D&C 20:37 at the beginning. I honestly just cannot teach a lesson without members. I don't like it one bit. Sister Saint-Gilles and Jerome were powerful and I know that they were meant to be there. It turns out that Sister Saint-Gilles had gone through a similar thing that Kevin is going through right now and she testified to him how the only thing that got her through was the Gospel. Wow. It just melted my heart and touched Kevin right to the very core. Then Jerome went on to talk about how and why he was baptized and it made the experience even sweeter! We may have to push back his date so he can work some things out but he is amazing and so ready for baptism! I can't wait to see him get to take this wonderful step of baptism and confirmation in his life. 

It's been a great week and I can't wait to see what this new week has in store. I hope you all have a great week. Be safe! I love you all.

Love,

Sister Mouritsen  


Second coming. haha.

We were climbing coconut trees on the church lawn while waiting for an investigator for a couple minutes. haha. Reminds me of Colt trying to climb or touch some spiky tree in Phoenix... Anybody else remember that picture. ;) haha! I've been thinking about reenacting it... ;) Love you Colt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment