Scripture

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Alma 26:12


Email: megan.mouritsen@myldsmail.net

Leah's Mission Timeline

Leah's Mission Timeline

Monday, October 6, 2014

10/6/14: Another Week In Jamaica

Hi family!

Wow! I opened my email and there were like almost 50 emails! I have never felt so loved in my entire life. Jk. jk. haha. But really. Wow. It's so good to hear from everybody! We work so hard and get lost in the work during the week that Mondays are just a slap in the face with all the emails and info from people. I love it! Thank you so much for all of your emails and updates! I really, really, appreciate it! 

I guess you all want to hear about why I didn't email last week haha. I actually wasn't going to say anything about it but I guess I will now. So Friday I woke up really, super weak and I couldn't even exercise. I had no energy whatsoever. I just assumed it was because my body was tired and it was the end of the week. haha. What was I thinking....? So the Chikungunya has been raiding the island like crazy. It started on the East side especially in Kingston and moved West. We could see that by how the missionaries were catching it and what areas it was more populated in from people catching it. They were saying that you catch it in the air and then if a mosquito bites you, it can be transmitted to someone else so usually if one missionary caught it, it was pretty positive that their companion would get it. Haha. It attacks your joints to the point where you can barely move without being in TONS of pain, there is a massive rash that covers your body, you get a fever that is up in the 100s and just overall weakness and occasional dizziness and vomiting. There are different levels you can catch it at. Some people attract all of the symptoms, some don't. Anyway, Friday during studies I noticed some red spots appearing on my arms, I just thought, oh, it's nothing. Haha. Yeah. Right, nothing. By Friday night I had been getting heat flashes that felt hotter than Cayman, the red spots had gotten redder and bigger, I had gotten weaker as the day went on, my joints were in pain with just about every movement, especially in my hands, feet, and spine. I could barely drive us home. But thankfully, with a lot of prayer, we made it. haha! If only you could see the mountain we drive to get home! Before we drove home we were visiting a member who had picked up some pills for us earlier that day. Thank goodness. 
Then the vomiting came, you guys know how my body loves to do that... That made me not eat anything as well. The only thing I really ate was some porridge that Sister Walker fed me. The next morning, Saturday, I never left my bed because I was in too much pain. I'm gonna compare it to when Dad runs the Wasatch 100 and goes up to his bed and doesn't come back down for like a week. ;) Love ya dad hahaha! I'm totally exaggerating that you are up there for a week. It's like 6 days. ;) jk. Anyway! All throughout the day Sister Brown told Sister Walker on the phone that I had to take frequent 15-20 minute cold showers, (which is nothing new, I do that every morning anyway.) to keep the fever down. Luckily that really did help to keep the fever down for me. But with this virus all you can really do is wait it out. They say that the symptoms can last up to 2 weeks or 2 years. It just depends on the person. So Saturday I was out and Sunday as well. Monday we attempted to come out of the house because we needed to be able to survive the rest of the week haha. We got food at the grocery store and then I decided I couldn't handle driving anymore. It made me nauseous, (I don't know how to spell that...) and my joints couldn't take it. Elder and Sister Hardy the senior couple brought the Elder's along with them to come give me a Priesthood blessing. I just love those!!! Tuesday I felt better but still dizzy and really weak but we went out anyway. I can tell throughout the week that I get weak some mornings or dizzy other days. The symptoms definitely affect me occasionally but, that won't stop the work from progressing! I'm just glad that I am over the worst of it for now. haha! :)

On the spiritual side of things, we had a great lesson with Kimoya about the Book of Mormon and helping her understand it better for herself. She wasn't able to make it to conference this weekend though because she didn't have the fare for a taxi. :(

We had an AWESOME lesson with a less-active as well, Brother James. We brought Sister Llewellyn along with us and she really helped him out. He has been going through some things that are making him embarrassed to come back to church because he knows they are wrong. Sister Llewellyn is one that will tell it to ya straighter than straight. Trust me I know. He wasn't able to come to conference though because he was sick. Like everyone on the island.... We also heard that Ebola hit the island haha! There have been a few cases identified. Let's hope we don't get that one. It's worse! 

Man, conference was FANTASTIC! We went to the church which is just a room above the grocery store and set up an old tv to an iPad and we watched it live! I especially loved the talk in the Saturday morning session by Chi Hong Wong I think is his name. He spoke Cantonese. He talked about the people who helped get the man with palsy in to see the Savior through the roof to be healed and how they had to work together to get him there. He compared it to the ward council and working with missionaries and all that. Everyone has to work together. Also how the Savior said he was happy with 'THEIR' faith. Not just the man being healed. As you all know my most favorite speaker in the whole entire world is D. Todd Christofferson. Oh man! I loved how he talked about how we need to 'Go to work.. so that God has something to help us with'. I loved Jorg Klebingot and how he spoke about spiritual confidence. Also Carlos A. Godoy and how we need to evaluate if we are living up to the blessings in our patriarchal blessings. But that is just a few of the talks I loved. They were all WONDERFUL. JEEZ i love the Gospel! 

Well there is a little about how the passed couple weeks have been. I hope you all have a blessed and safe week! I love you all so much and pray for you daily!

Love,

Sister Mouritsen

Pictures between the Sunday sessions at General Conference in front of the store below the meeting house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment